2.08.2007

If You Can't Walk And Listen At The Same Time...



You ever say, or in this case, write something that you feel like is begging karma to kick you in the ass? Well, for me this is the post. Tomorrow, if the M20 rolls over a lifeless carcass it'll probably be me.

New Yorkers...hear me now and believe me later...drug laws or not, the people up the Hudson in Albany apparently are smoking all the good shit. Apparently, the "crackheads" upstate have decided that crossing a street while listening to an iPod is SO hazardous that it's worthy of a $100 fine.

State Senator Carl Kruger, in an interview with CBS referred to this condition as "iPod oblivion" and proposed legislation to ban people listening to iPods while crossing the street.

"We are talking about people walking around 'tuned in' and, in the process of being tuned in, being 'tuned out' to the world around them," Senator Kruger told TV station WCBS.

"They are walking into speeding cars. They are walking into buses. They are walking into one another and it is creating a number of fatalities that have been documented right here in New York City," Kruger told WCBS TV.

I have a job where ridiculous ideas are as commonplace as baby-stealing husbands are on the Lifetime Network, but this may be among the STUPIDEST ideas I have ever heard. Because frankly, if you can't cross the street while listening to Shakira at defeaning volumes, that bus might be doing the gene pool a favor.

More so than that, this idiotic attempt at "public safety" legislation is nothing more than a publicity stunt wasting the time and money of our taxpayers while heightening the profile of an otherwise nominally important,- lesser government official representing one of the "outer boroughs" that we keep on as part of New York City.

"How can I make a name for myself, make some noise in this town," I imagine him thinking. "Hmmm, people are ignoring my attempts at campaign-clinching handshakes because they're listening to those blasted iPods...I KNOW! I'll take away their iPods, then they'll love me best," I imagine him cackling with Grinch-like smarm.--
-
The only thing that could rile me up more than the writing of this legislation would be its being passed. Our police should be concerned with murderers and rapists; terrorists and subway turnstile jumpers, not music loving menaces to themselves.

When they took cigarettes away, I said nothing
When they took the trans fats out of my fries, I stayed silent
When they try to keep me from listening to music as I walk the streets of Manhattan, I actually consider MOVING to this guy's district in Brooklyn so I can vote him out of office!

* Writer's note: There is no conclusive evidence that anyone mentioned in this blog, directly or indirectly is actually a user of "crack," or any other illegal substances.

No comments: